maandag 13 maart 2017

William Byrd -- 14 maart 1710

William Byrd II (1674-1744) was een Amerikaanse schrijver, politicus en plantagebezitter. Fragmenten uit zijn dagboeken staan hier online.

March 14, 1710. I rose at 6 o’clock and read the Psalms and some Greek in Anacreon. I said my prayers and ate milk for breakfast. I received a letter by Captain Posford from Mr. Bland by which I learned that my sloop was taken into Martinique. Captain Ned Bolling died of the smallpox at sea and so did Ch-s-t-r, both pretty young men. The death of this last makes way for Isham Randolph to command Colonel Hill’s ship, for which he shall have my recommendation. My wife was melancholy, which made me weep. I danced my dance. I ate roast mutton for dinner. In the afternoon we played at piquet, then I read more Dutch. Then I took a walk about the plantation. In the evening I read some English. I said my prayers and had good health, good thoughts, and good humor, thanks be to God Almighty.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten